Friday, April 5, 2013

OLCHAR E. LINDSANN


     The Immortal Accursed

Cain said to the Lord, "My punishment is greater than I can bear. Behold, thou hast driven me this day from the ground; and from thy face I shall be hidden; and I shall be a fugitive and wanderer on the earth, and whoever finds me will slay me.
   Genesis 4: 13-14.

I have received life as a wound, and I have forbidden suicide to heal the scar. I want the Creator to contemplate the gaping crevasse for every hour of his eternity. This is the punishment I inflict upon him.
   Lautréamont, Maldoror, Book III, Chapt. 1.



Estranged from God in vengeance and in fear,   
   my penance shall not be adjourned:
Men cringe in horror when I reappear.
Eternally they wound and jeer
   me as I wander, deathless, spurned,
estranged from Men in vengeance and in fear.
Plunged deep in doubt if I draw near,
   yet frenzied in their self-concern,
Men cringe in horror when I reappear.
If in the course of my career
   we meet, God quakes at my return,
estranged from Him in vengeance and in fear.   
I voice his curse for Men to hear,
   his cruelty which they dread to learn—
They cringe in horror when I reappear.
This curse lays God upon his bier
   where I alone can bid him burn:
estranged from Men in vengeance and in fear,
He'll cringe in horror when I reappear.





                        Aside
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Her gold hair flutters,
And rats scream in the courtyard.
                -Georg Trackl, The Young Maiden
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

            a slight enticement
warily the cuspid slather thrashes in the child's milk
              the eddy
            entangled
left behind him long ago
   a blotter on the road
   sinking in its inverse glow
   its teeth enmeshed in silk
it spirals or contamination creeping like a dying toad
   in splendour and or but and
            composed of
            the lice went
Trebonius tugged at the hem of my robe

No comments:

Post a Comment