Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Botanist, by Kathryn MacLeod


cold tales of distant
forests dense & rich

in waxen leaf and
canopy the exotic

way you look at me

language unrecognizable &
tiger eyes so lost in green

and waterfalls
the jungle times when we could plunder

shamelessly, our love
and history awash in blossom

ships and wondrous
biting insects


š


enter the realm

their smooth-faced god
placid amidst noisy colours

a devotee of sorts I travelled
distances to overcome

suffering, with half a heart

outside the temple
foreign shoes in rows & postcards

the soft-eyed mangy dogs
& bougainvillea clutching
worn verandas

a species we had never seen

I endured the duller pain of travel
I was always avaricious

a quiescent seed

you loved me anyways
and I returned your good heart
sick with incense



š


the museum smell
of documents and death, the saddest

shroud of history

it takes
influence and investments
to be the best collector

I could not shake
the opium truth

I wanted the taxonomy

the way some wanted
love


š


rarest petals, perfumes &
hidden in a deep treed

valley, small happy people

outside the economy
our riches undermined

and bruised I looked back

as I left them, slinging
goats and singing

as if they might be free
the birds, the long-tailed haunting birds


š


Dear heart—

I know the corners
of the dirty world

I walk from deserts
into jungles, cannot make out
the difference

now and again
my solitude erupts
like bedsores

I yearn for relevance
& discovery seek
the unknown species




O Visage

seeing
& serene

See me

I have folded
on my knees
stricken with unthought words


Kathryn MacLeod lives in Victoria, BC. Her previous books and chapbooks include Entropic Suite (above/ground press, 2012), mouthpiece (Tsunami Editions, 1996) and How Two (Tsunami Editions, 1987). Her poetry has appeared in numerous literary journals and anthologies, including Companions and Horizons: An Anthology of Simon Fraser University Poetry (2005), Writing Class: The Kootenay School of Writing Anthology (1999), and East of Main (1989).

No comments:

Post a Comment